Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Beardy's Food Ratings

Here is the Beardy Rating System. It's pretty simple, because I don't like confusing.

Overall Rating: The overall rating is based on the five key elements of each place I go to. It will be a 1-5 mug scale (yes mugs, because it's Brew City). 1 mug is poor; 2 mugs is below average; 3 mugs is average; 4 mugs is above average; 5 mugs is great. Shot glasses will represent half a point.

The following five ratings are based on beards -- yes beards -- with the same scale as the mugs. A mustache is a half a point.

Food: The most important rating is food. I mean, it is a food review blog after all. It will be based on quality, presentation, combination of items (sides, etc.), and any drink recommendations by the wait staff. This especially applies at places where wine is served.

Service: I grew up with a Southern mother who's aunt owned a restaurant for 30 years. I want good service. It not only means my wait staff is attentive; it means that the owners and managers are very keen on the notion that customers are business. This rating will be based on attentiveness, knowledge of the menu (including specials), and general attitude.

Menu: A good variety on the menu is nice. If there aren't many choices, then there's not much to complain about or write about. Also based on clarity of the menu, good layout, and attention to detail.

Atmosphere: A good environment is nice. Is the place clean? Is it thematic? Is it nice to be in? These things make for a nice return visit. However, it won't be as critical as the previous three items.

Pricing: Lastly, pricing. I'm not a rich guy, but I do like to eat out. If I can only go to a place once a year, then it's probably not worth my time, because I like to go to places more than once. It is also based on whether it's appropriate for the quality of the food and service.

Full disclosure: I am NOT a food critic. I'm just an average guy with a love of food and a desire to get Milwaukee's great diversity some recognition. This blog is meant to showcase not only the notables throughout the city but also to highlight some of the places that might not get the notice they deserve.

If you've got a restaurant you think I should try out, email me at beardysfood@gmail.com, and I'll add it to my list of places to try out.

No comments:

Post a Comment