Thursday, February 24, 2011

Seoul Korean Restaurant

Seoul Korean Restaurant is in the heart of the East Side, on Prospect Avenue (right next to Izumi's). It's a neat little place with it's own parking lot -- which is a bit small -- and a good traditional feel.

Food: 3 Beards and a Mustache

The food was a unique treat, being one used to more "American-ized" Asian cuisine like Chinese, Indian, and others. This place definitely knows how to make itself stand out.

I started with an OB (Oriental Brewery) beer, which was nice and crisp.

To get a good sampling, I ordered the combination appetizer, which consisted of Korean dumplings -- which were much like any other East Asian dumplings -- friend squid and fried shrimp, both different from what one would expect. The appetizer was served with a nice soy-sauce mixture (with sesame seeds, green onions, and chili paste), and a sweet-and-sour sauce. All meals are also served with a variety of small sides, including sweetened potatoes, radish, kimchi, friend pork, and dried seaweed, as well as soup.

As my entrée, I ordered spicy squid, which was much spicier than the "medium" one of the two wait staff suggested. I was very happy for my beer when that arrived. It was a fairly simple meal of squid and onions in a spicy sauce. It was served in an iron hot place, which was neat. The spice did, however, overpower the meal a little, which was a disappointment.

Service: 4 Beards

The service here is great. I'm not sure if it was because it was a slower night or if it's just the way they are most times, but the two wait staff on duty that night were both attentive. I did not want for drink, nor did I need to ask for anything the entire time. One of the wait staff was a little hesitant on his English, but he was very nice; the other was very good at making suggestions from off the menu -- both traditional and popular items.

My only complaint was that the main entrée came out at nearly the exact time as my appetizer, which made for a very crowded table.

As a side note, I was very absent-minded and left my credit card with the bill, and the waiter rushed out to catch me, so I wouldn't leave it behind. Bonus points for that.

Menu: 3 Beards

The menu was well laid-out and easily understandable. The drink menu had an out-of-date weekend specials on it, which might have just been the way they do things. Also, the person I was with wanted to order an item off the menu and was told they no longer served it. Always a disappointment when that happens. Overall a decent menu, though, with a wide variety of soups, noodle dishes, seafood, and Korean barbecue.

Atmosphere: 3 Beards and a Mustache

The ambiance of the place was nice. However, it was a little chuckle-worthy that they were playing soft 80s rock. The place was very clean, though I imagine if it gets busy, it gets very cramped, very quickly.

Pricing: 3 Beards and a Mustache

Most things were within a good budget. Appetizers ranged from $5.95-7.95. Entrées were from $9.95-13.95. There are also some pricier items that require a purchase of two of them, which is meant for "family style" dining.

Overall: 3 Mugs and a Shot

The place definitely warrants a second trip with the variety of the menu. I would highly recommend it for anyone who wants something Asian that's a little out of the norm -- especially if you eat a lot of Chinese food.

No comments:

Post a Comment